Thursday, April 15, 2010

Networking (or just being friendly) is AWESOME

Before I get in to this next post, let me first explain that my nickname at work is Sunshine. I think that is pretty much self explanatory about my personality.

To start, I have been really nervous about designing this website for Claire and the band. I have great ideas (videos, pictures, sound clips, calendars, fan forum) but wasn't very sure how to actually "create" the whole concept. VERY stressful let me tell you.

So yesterday I was at work, being my normal "Sunshine" self, talking with my coworkers and being friendly, when I remembered that my coworker is a GRAPHIC DESIGNER, who out of no where begins telling me how she is working with a friend on a website for a client. Can I just say FATE!?

To make a story short, she is helping me with the layout and her friend is going to put in all the fancy schmancy codes to make the website actually be a working website and not the power point presentation it is right now! HOW AWESOME is that?

Thank you Courtney Boatwright and friend!!

I am very excited, I think that the first thing any artist needs to market themselves is a website where people can go to learn more about their work and connect with them. I think this is going to end up being great.

Now I just have to figure out what colors and font a gypsy would use? Maybe I should watch Hunchback of Notre Dame again to get some ideas...

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog!

    You have such a positive energy in your writing that makes people want to keep reading. I agree with you post also that networking is awesome. I am a kind of do-it-yourself kind of person, and I know I would save ALOT of energy and time if I found the time to network.

    Looking forward to more posts...

    Ne-chi'rye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimo always used to say in Art & Business of Recording that you never know who you are sitting next to. It's important to try and make as many connections as you can while you are still at Columbia because you never know when you'll need help down the road. Making those connections now will put you one step ahead of everyone else. If you ever needed anything, it doesn't hurt to ask for help. I know I would be willing to help classmates with anything.

    As far as the website, I do think that it is extremely important to have for an artist. For my talent management class, the artist we were working with was just starting out and had absolutely no web presence at all. That is the first thing we implemented. I know the first thing I do when I hear of a new band is Google or YouTube them. I expect them to be on the web somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to both of you!!

    Kevin: I agree with you never know who you may be sitting next to. I have so many stories about exactly that! I am working on the website, I can't wait for it to be up and running for the band.

    Monique: Thank you!! I love writing, I think the best way to connect to people is to just be yourself. This assignment has been really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There seems to be a gypsy theme with this website. Are the people reading this aware of what they can do to people. They have been notorious for shrinking people and it has been said that their tears can do unthinkable things to people. Consider yourselves lucky for you have been warned.

    ReplyDelete